Friday, 10 June 2011

Syria

It is with great sadness that I have been reading about the events in Syria in recent months.

Although I have been fascinated and excited to watch people grabbing democracy else where in the Middle East, I can't help worry about Syria.

In 2008, as part of Global Xchange I spent 3 months there. I have been to Homs, friends of mine have been to Latakia. I have friends there still, friends who I am worried about.

Democracy, in its truest form, is a great thing to strive for (and something the UK should try some time). It has to come from a movement by the people themselves, not introduced by an occupying force like it was in Iraq. To hear of people dying for what I take for granted, having a say in who governs my country, is truly humbling. Three years ago I was playing devil's advocate, saying democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be as it's better to have stability than democracy. I'm now eating my words. Not only are the peaceful protesters dying, the people who come out to mourn them the next day are as well.

Anyone who has been to Syria knows that the president's face is to Syria what Starbucks is to Seattle. It's literally on every corner. These are now justifiably being torn down and burned.

Whether Bashar is responsible for the ills his people are now facing or he's just a puppet, the regime needs to come down.

I'm only sorry it took me so long to realise.

No comments:

Post a Comment