Monday, 5 September 2011

Day 10 – A show I thought I wouldn't like but ended up loving

This is incredibly easy, why can't all questions be like this?










When I first saw stills of Bones when it started on Sky, I thought it was just another procedural. However, a few years later I was reading Jasper Fforde's First Among Sequels when Temperance Brennan (from Kathy Reichs' books, not from the series) made a guest appearance saying that someone had tried to kill her.

From this short appearance I was already fascinated and I found myself on the character's Wikipedia page and upon this I found the connection to Bones (which a little bit complicated for me to explain so, just read this). Quickly afterwards I was watching scenes of the show on YouTube and had put the first four seasons on my LoveFilm lists.

Far from being just another procedural, the show's characters and the relationships between them are integral to story. Whereas when Gil left CSI, life got on as normal, when Zack left Bones he was replaced by 6 interns on a rotating schedule. The elements of a procedural are there but each and every character is irreplaceable. It's funny, clever and above all heart warming.

Also, no one does chemistry like Booth and Brennan.









Well, except Rizzoli and Isles, mebbe:









Incidentally, Rizzoli & Isles' creator, Janet Tamaro was supervising producer for Bones 2006-8 so now might be a time to mention Booth and Brennan finally admitted their love for one other in season 5, so the gayzzoli fans still have hope!

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd've picked this one too.

    I watched cos it was Angel, but it took me a while to adjust to there not being any demons or vampires. There may have been some heckling at the telly of "get inside before you catch fire!" and suchlike.

    Now I'm somewhere through the boxset of season 3 having demolished the first two... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, my first comment on this blog, thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete